Spicy Thai carrot soup is infused with so many bright, fresh flavors and is perfectly creamy thanks to the coconut milk. This fragrant made from scratch soup is easy to prepare in just over 30-minutes and is naturally gluten-free and vegan.
Jessica Halverstadt is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Thai-inspired coconut carrot soup is EVERYTHING a good soup should be.
It’s packed full of all the BEST Thai flavors, including:
Thai chile peppers ✔️
The incorporation of all these elements (and more) result in an incredible depth of flavor.
Like every good soup, it starts with the aromatics: ginger, garlic, and shallots. The instant these ingredients start sautéing your kitchen will be filled with the most magnificent aroma. Thus the term aromatic.
The base of the soup is a combination of carrots and coconut milk which give it a slight sweetness and make it delightfully creamy.
It’s then spiced up with Thai chiles, turmeric, ground clove, and ground coriander. Oh, and a bit of salt!! Talk about flavor-packed.
Topping off this bright soup is a quick pickled red onion that soaks in a bit of lime juice and salt, some fresh cilantro, and lime wedges for some additional acidity.
This soup is super easy to make and takes just over 30 minutes to prepare. It’s boldly seasoned, rich, and quite filling, not to mention a great gluten-free, vegan option for both lunch and dinner.
Ingredients (+ notes & substitutions)
- Red onion
- Lime juice: To pickle the red onions.
- Coconut oil: Could sub for olive oil or avocado oil.
- Fresh ginger
- Vegetable broth
- Carrots: Sliced into coins.
- Dried Thai chiles: The recipe calls for three chiles, but you could always add more or leave them out altogether if you do not wish for the soup to be spicy. The use of three chiles provides a fair amount of heat, but does not overwhelm. Another option is to crush some chiles and top your soup with them for additional heat.
- Coconut milk
- Ground coriander
- Ground clove
- Cilantro: To garnish.
- Lime wedges: Also to garnish.
How to make spicy Thai carrot soup (+tips)
In a small bowl, combine the onion, lime juice, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Set aside.
Heat coconut oil over medium heat in a medium pot.
Add the shallots, garlic, and ginger and sauté for three minutes or until onions are slightly translucent and soft.
Next add the vegetable broth, carrots, and Thai chile peppers and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until carrots are fork-tender.
Then transfer to a blender or use an immersion blender and pulse until smooth.
Transfer back to the pot. Stir in the coconut milk, turmeric, ground clove, ground coriander, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and simmer for five minutes.
To serve, garnish with pickled red onion, cilantro, and lime wedges.
Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to four days.
More vegetable soup recipes you may enjoy:
- Creamy Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons and Basil Oil: This made from scratch creamy tomato soup with grilled cheese croutons prepared with goat cheese and basil oil is so dreamy. It’s the perfect comforting soup for summer, fall, or winter. Naturally vegetarian.
- Asparagus Leek Soup with Sourdough Garlic Bread Croutons: This creamy asparagus leek soup with sourdough garlic bread croutons is a simple and delightful way to enjoy fresh seasonal Spring produce. It’s vegetarian and gluten-free adaptable.
If you make this spicy Thai carrot soup I’d love your feedback. Please leave a comment and/or a rating below as I greatly value your opinion. Or snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @taoofspiceblog. Love, light, and happy cooking ya’ll ♥
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced, approximately 1/2-3/4 cup
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 2 shallots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 pounds carrots, sliced
- 3 dried Thai chile peppers
- 1 (13.5 oz) can coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- In a small bowl, combine onion, lime juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- In a medium pot, heat oil to medium heat.
- Add the shallots, garlic, and ginger and sauté for three minutes or until onions are slightly translucent and soft.
- Add vegetable broth, carrots, and Thai chile peppers and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Transfer to a blender or use an immersion blender and pulse until smooth.
- Transfer back to the pot. Stir in the coconut milk, turmeric, coriander, salt, and ground clove. Simmer for five minutes.
- To serve: Garnish soup with pickled red onion and cilantro. Serve warm.
Storage: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to four days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 299Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 913mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 10gSugar: 16gProtein: 6g
The nutritional information provided is computer generated. It is only an estimate and intended for informational purposes only. Nutrition details may vary depending on various factors such as origin, freshness of ingredients, etc