These indulgent baked jalapeno popper bites are the perfect sweet and savory appetizer for your next get together. Everyone will be raving about these bacon-wrapped cheese-stuffed jalapeno slices candied with brown sugar!!
I’m really starting to feel those summertime vibes 😍. And there’s nothing that makes my heart happier!!! I am a summer girl through and through. Bring on the heat, camping, days at the lake, and last but not least barbecues.
Whether it be with a group of friends or just my fam, I love busting out the grill. Cooking your food over coals and fire takes it to the next level flavorwise not to mention it is so darn simple. The ease of clean-up makes this mamas heart sing and allows me the much-needed opportunity to take it easy.
One of my favorite side dishes to serve when we are grilling out is bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers. The issue I’ve run into is that they are a bit of a hassle when prepared on the grill. The drippy bacon grease tends to ignite. No Bueno.
That being said, I prefer to bake mine. And they are just as delicious that way so it’s a win-win.
Another issue I’ve run into is that sometimes a whole pepper is just too much. In my house, we typically serve them as an appetizer. They are so incredibly good that it’s hard to stop and next thing you know you’ve had two, or three…..ok maybe even four. And then you’re feeling quite full.
To remedy that, I got the idea to slice them up into bite size pieces. More for everyone!!! Yay!!
These baked jalapeno popper bites are still simple to prepare and just as tasty, if not more, because they are topped with brown sugar. You know what the result of baking bacon with brown sugar is? Candied bacon, which has got to be one of the most glorious things you could possibly put in your mouth.
These peppers have got it all: heat, sweet, melty cheese, crispy bacon. For real, give them a shot. They will no doubt be an instant hit whether you’re entertaining or just kicking back with your family.
So what do you need to make these jalapeno poppers? (+substitutions)
- Cream cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Thick-cut bacon: Standard cut bacon would also work.
- Brown sugar: Light or dark, but preferably dark.
How do you make these baked jalapeno popper bites w/ brown sugar bacon? (+tips)
Begin by preheating your oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil or spray a large glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, garlic powder, and onion powder. Set aside.
Next slice the stem end off of each jalapeno and cut/scoop out the membranes and seeds. Discard everything but the hollowed out jalapenos.
Then fill the jalapenos with the cream cheese mixture.
Slice the filled jalapenos four times creating four uniform slices; discard the end piece.
Wrap each jalapeno slice with a slice of bacon and secure it with a toothpick. Arrange them on your baking sheet or dish.
Sprinkle with brown sugar.
Bake for 20 minutes or until the bacon is golden brown and slightly crispy.
How to store
Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to three days.
More party appetizers to impress your guests:
- Buffalo Fried Pickles: Make way for your new favorite appetizer! If you love fried pickles and buffalo wings you will not be disappointed. These pickles are dredged in a buffalo sauce batter and fried to perfection. Pair them with some garlic ranch and BAM!
- Asian Pork Tacos: These Asian pork tacos are the stuff dreams are made of. They start with crispy wonton shells filled with flavorful juicy shredded pork then topped with a fresh slaw and spicy chili mayo. Great for an appetizer or dinner.
- Deep-Fried Jalapeno Popper Deviled Eggs: These deep-fried jalapeno popper deviled eggs start with a deep-fried egg white, stuffed with a creamy yolk mixture, and topped with sliced jalapenos, bacon, and cayenne pepper.
If you make these baked jalapeno popper bites w/ brown sugar bacon I’d love your feedback. Please leave a comment and/or a rating below as I greatly value your opinion. Or snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @taoofspiceblog. Love, light and happy cooking ya’ll ♥
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 large jalapenos
- 1-16 ounce package thick-cut bacon, cut into thirds
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, light or dark
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, garlic powder, and onion powder. Set aside.
- Slice off the stem ends of the jalapenos and discard. Cut and/or scoop out the seeds and membranes and discard.
- Fill the hollowed out jalapenos with the cream cheese mixture.
- Slice the stuffed jalapenos four times creating four uniform slices, and discard the end pieces. (See notes).
- Wrap each jalapeno slice with a slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
- Arrange the jalapeno popper bites on the baking sheet, sprinkle with brown sugar, and bake for 20 minutes or until bacon is slightly crispy. Serve warm.
Storage: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to three days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 2 bites
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 221Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 547mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 11g
The nutritional information provided is computer generated. It is only an estimate and intended for informational purposes only. Nutrition details may vary depending on various factors such as origin, freshness of ingredients, etc