These simple, customizable 7 layer tostadas are a family favorite for Meatless Monday!! They take just 20-minutes to prepare, are easy on the clean-up, and are gluten-free.
Jessica Halverstadt is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What you’ll love about this recipe
- The simplicity! These easy tostadas take just 20-minutes to prepare. This recipe does not require any special kitchen equipment and is light on the clean-up. These factors make these seven layer tostadas ideal for a weeknight dinner.
- It’s customizable! The best part about this dish is you have some freedom to tailor it to your tastes. Choose your favorite refried beans, your favorite salsa (homemade or store-bought), and whatever type of cheese your heart desires. Also, feel free to omit any of the layers or add additional ingredients like jalapenos or hot sauce for heat.
- It’s meatless! Yep, that’s right! As long as you choose vegetarian refried beans, the result will be vegetarian tostadas. They are absolutely perfect for Meatless Monday and are also gluten-free!
Ingredients (+ notes & substitutions)
- Soft corn tortillas: Yellow or white. If you prefer, you may use preprepared tostada shells.
- Non-stick cooking spray: To coat the tortillas prior to baking.
- Cherry tomatoes: Could sub for grape tomatoes or one cup of diced Roma tomatoes.
- Cilantro: For the pico de gallo.
- Jalapeno: Feel free to omit for less heat.
- Lime juice: Fresh or bottled.
- Onion: Red or white.
- Garlic: One small clove.
- Salt: Fine salt will work best for this recipe.
- Refried beans: There are many options when it comes to the refried beans and the choice is yours. If you desire vegetarian tostadas, make sure to choose beans that are lard free.
- Guacamole: To cut time you are more than welcome to use store-bought guacamole or to simply use mashed avocado seasoned with salt and pepper and a little bit of lime juice.
- Sour cream
- Salsa: Pick your favorite salsa! It can be green or red, chunky or smooth, and/or anywhere from mild to hot.
- Shredded cheese: You may use whatever type of cheese you would like. Suggestions include cheddar, Monterey Jack, pepper Jack, Colby Jack, and queso quesadilla.
- Black olives
- Green onions
How to make 7-layer tostadas?
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Arrange the corn tortillas in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Liberally spray with non-stick cooking spray then flip and spray the other side. Bake for five minutes then flip and bake another 3-5 minutes until lightly browned and crispy.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, onion, garlic, and salt. Set aside.
4. Heat the refried beans on the stovetop in a small saucepan or if preferred, in the microwave.
5. To assemble: Layer each tostada shell with refried beans followed by guacamole and sour cream. Add a layer of salsa then sprinkle with cheese. Top with pico de gallo, black olives, and green onions and serve warm.
Although they will keep for up to four days if refrigerated in an airtight container, they won’t exactly taste great reheated. Thus, I recommend storing the elements separately in the refrigerator rather than assembled.
More quick and easy, gluten-free Mexican inspired dinner recipes:
- Beef Enchilada Skillet: Take the hassle out of making enchiladas by preparing this simple ground beef enchilada skillet. This one-pan meal takes just 30-minutes to prepare and is gluten-free. Don’t forget the toppings!!!
- Chori Pollo: Chori pollo is a simple Mexican dish that combines chicken and chorizo and is then topped with cheese. It takes just 15-minutes to prepare, requires only ten ingredients, is gluten-free, and keto-friendly.
- Mexican Street Corn Quesadillas: A hearty vegetarian option for a weeknight meal, these loaded Mexican street corn quesadillas with mucho cheese can be prepped and plated in just 20 -minutes.
If you make these vegetarian 7 layer tostadas I’d love your feedback. Please leave a comment and/or a rating below as I greatly value your opinion. Or snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @taoofspiceblog. Love, light, and happy cooking ya’ll ♥
- 5 soft corn tortillas, white or yellow
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1-16 ounce can refried beans
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon finedly diced jalapeno
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tabelspoon finely diced onion, red or white
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup guacamole (see notes for my recipe)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded cheese, cheddar, colby Jack, Monterey Jack, or pepper Jack
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Arrange the corn tortillas in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Spray with non-stick cooking spray then flip and spray the other side. Bake for five minutes then flip and bake another 3-5 minutes until lightly browned and crispy.
- In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, onion, garlic, and salt. Set aside.
- Heat the refried beans on the stovetop in a small saucepan or in the microwave.
- To assemble: Layer each tostada shell with refried beans followed by guacamole and sour cream. Add a layer of salsa then sprinkle with cheese. Top with pico de gallo, black olives, and green onions and serve warm.
Storage: Although they will keep for up to four days if refrigerated in an airtight container, they won't exactly taste great reheated. Thus I recommend storing the elements separately in the refrigerator rather than assembled.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 483Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 1151mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 9gSugar: 6gProtein: 18g
The nutritional information provided is computer generated. It is only an estimate and intended for informational purposes only. Nutrition details may vary depending on various factors such as origin, freshness of ingredients, etc