Everything tastes better when it’s spicy including this spicy 7-layer dip. This simple vegetarian dip takes just 10-minutes to prepare and yields enough to serve a crowd. Naturally gluten-free.
Jessica Halverstadt is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
With the big game only one week away, I know many of you have game day appetizers on your mind. I know I do!
To be honest, I’m could really not care less about the game. The food though….that’s another story. I’m all about the food.
One of my favorite appetizers is 7-layer dip. I mean who doesn’t like 7-layer dip? You really can’t go wrong with it.
It’s got all the bases covered :
Protein √ Guacamole √ Cheese √ Veggies √
Regular ol’ 7-layer dip is perfectly fine, but being I live in Chiefdom and we’re going to the Superbowl (for the first time in 50 years), I wanted to kick things up a notch.
In my mind, spicing it up a bit was the best way to enhance it, so I added some jalapenos to the beans, replaced your typical cheddar with pepper jack, and made sure to use plenty of jalapenos in both the guacamole and pico.
If you’re can’t handle a whole lotta heat, don’t worry it’s not that spicy. IF you wanna take it up another notch or two simply choose a hot salsa verde and top it all off with some fresh or pickled jalapenos.
Ingredients (+ notes & substitutions)
- Refried beans: If you want this dish to be vegetarian, make sure you choose vegetarian refried beans as most refried beans contain lard. For even more spice, pick spicy or jalapeno refried beans.
- Hot diced jalapenos: Or just chop up some pickled or fresh jalapenos.
- Chili powder: To season the beans.
- Onion powder
- Kosher salt
- Sour cream
- Guacamole: You can purchase pre-made guacamole or make your own!
- Pepper Jack cheese
- Salsa: Use your favorite hot salsa or make your own.
- Pico de gallo: I recommend making it yourself, however, you are more than welcome to use store-bought pico if you to save time.
- Black olives
- Green onions: One small bunch.
- Jalapenos: If you want to take it up another notch, crown the dip with fresh or pickled jalapeno slices.
How to make spicy 7-layer dip (+ tips)
1. Add the refried beans, jalapenos, chili powder, onion powder, cumin, and salt to the bowl of your food processor fit with the blade attachment and pulse until smooth and combined. **Processing the beans makes them nice and creamy and ensures the other ingredients are well combined. You can, however, skip this step and simply mix the ingredients by hand if you choose.
2. Spread the beans evenly across the bottom of a 13″ x 9″ baking/casserole dish. Layer on the guacamole followed by the sour cream then the salsa and pico de Gallo.
3. Sprinkle with pepper jack cheese then black olives and green onions. Top with sliced jalapenos if desired.
4. Serve immediately with chips or for best results refrigerate for at least one hour.
Cover and refrigerate for up to five days.
As long as you do not use refried beans that contain lard then yes, it is vegetarian-friendly!
Unfortunately, it is not keto-friendly due to the beans.
Absolutely! Not only you can prepare a 7-layer dip the night before but it tastes even better if you do.
More dip recipes you may enjoy:
- Hatch Chile Queso Bean Dip: Ultra-creamy bean dip + hatch chile queso, this hatch chile queso bean dip is perfect for a crowd, takes only 20 minutes, and is a great way to take advantage of hatch chile season. Naturally gluten-free and vegetarian.
- Goat Cheese Spinach Artichoke Dip with Leeks: This easy one-skillet goat cheese spinach artichoke dip with leeks is made with fresh ingredients, four kinds of cheese including cream cheese, goat cheese, parmesan cheese, and mozzarella, and takes only 20-minutes. Naturally gluten-free.
- Kimchi Queso: Need a little more adventure in your life!?! Give this kimchi queso a try! It’s quick and simple to prepare, the perfect combination of flavors and textures, and both vegetarian and gluten-free.
If you make this spicy seven-layer dip I’d love your feedback. Please leave a comment and/or a rating below as I greatly value your opinion. Or snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @taoofspiceblog. Love, light, and happy cooking ya’ll ♥
- 2 (16 oz) cans refried beans - make sure to choose lard free beans for vegetarian
- 1 (4 oz) can hot diced jalapenos
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 24 ounces sour cream
- 2 cups guacamole
- 1 1/2 cup hot salsa
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 cups pico de gallo (see notes for my recipe)
- 1 (6 oz) can black olives, drained and sliced
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- Fresh or pickled jalapenos (optional)
- Add the refried beans, jalapenos, chili powder, onion powder, cumin, and salt to the bowl of your food processor fit with the blade attachment and pulse until smooth and combined.
- Spread the beans evenly across the bottom of a 13" x 9" baking/casserole dish. Layer on the guacamole followed by the sour cream then the salsa and pico de gallo.
- Sprinkle with pepper jack cheese then black olives and green onions. Top with sliced jalapenos if desired.
- Serve immediately with chips or for best results refrigerate for at least one hour.
Storage: Cover and refrigerate for up to five days.
Pico De Gallo
- 2 1/2 cups diced Roma tomatoes, about 5 medium Roma's
- 1/2 cup diced white or red onion
- 2 jalapenos, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes to allow flavors to meld or serve
immediately. Add salt and lime juice to taste. Store leftovers in an
airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 256Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 770mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 6g
The nutritional information provided is computer generated. It is only an estimate and intended for informational purposes only. Nutrition details may vary depending various factors such as origin, freshness of ingredients, etc.