This spicy 7-layer dip is made with jalapeno refried beans, guacamole, sour cream, salsa verde, pepper jack cheese, pico de gallo, green onions, and black olives. Perfect appetizer for your next party!
With the big game only one week away, I know many of you have game day appetizers on the mind. I know I do!
To be honest, I’m could really not care less about the game. The food though….that’s another story. I’m all about the food.
One of my favorite appetizers is 7-layer dip. I mean who doesn’t like 7-layer dip? You really can’t go wrong with it.
It’s got all the bases covered :
Protein √ Guacamole √ Cheese √ Veggies √
Regular ol’ 7-layer dip is perfectly fine, but beings I live in Chiefdom and we’re going to the Superbowl (for the first time in 50 years), I wanted to kick things up a notch.
In my mind, spicing it up a bit was the best way to enhance it, so I added some jalapenos to the beans, replaced your typical cheddar with pepper jack, and made sure to use plenty of jalapenos in both the guacamole and pico.
If you’re can’t handle a whole lotta heat, don’t worry it’s not that spicy. IF you wanna take it up another notch or two simply choose a hot salsa verde and top it all off with some fresh or pickled jalapenos.
So what do you need to make this dip? (+ substitutions)
- For the beans: Refried bean, a can of hot diced jalapenos (or just chop up some pickled or fresh jalapenos), chili powder, onion, powder, cumin, and salt. If you want this dish to be vegetarian, make sure you use vegetarian refried beans as most refried beans contain lard.
- For the guacamole: I kept the guac for this recipe really simple. All you need to avocados, lime juice, jalapenos, garlic, and salt.
- Sour cream
- Pepper jack cheese
- Salsa verde: I used Herdez Roasted Salsa Verde for convenience. It’s my favorite store-bought salsa verde and it works really well in this dip. My recipe for roasted salsa verdé would be fabulous as well.
- Pico de gallo: Alternately you could use store-bought to speed up the prep time or your favorite pico recipe (if you have one). I have included my pico recipe in the notes section of the recipe card.
- Black olives
- Green onions
- Fresh or pickled jalapenos: For extra heat. This addition is completely optional.
How do you make spicy 7 layer dip? (+ tips)
This dip is so easy to make. You’ll want to prepare the pico first if you plan to make it homemade. Simply combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl and place it in the refrigerator to allow the flavors to meld.
Next prepare the beans by mixing all the ingredients together in a medium bowl. Set aside
For the guacamole, empty the contents of the avocados into a medium bowl and mash until there are no big chunks. Add lime juice, jalapenos, garlic, and salt; stir to combine.
Now that all the ingredients are prepped, begin the layering process. In a 13″ x 9″ baking dish layer the beans, followed by the guacamole, then sour cream, and salsa. Top with cheese, pico de gallo, black olives, and green onions. Serve immediately with chips or cover and refrigerate for up to five days.
P.S. Fill a tortilla with leftovers and voila; 7-layer dip burrito!!!
How to store
Cover and refrigerate for up to five days.
More appetizers to impress your guests
- Deep Fried Jalapeno Popper Deviled Eggs: These deep-fried jalapeno popper deviled eggs start with a deep-fried egg white, stuffed with a creamy yolk mixture, and topped with sliced jalapenos, bacon, and cayenne pepper.
- Buffalo Fried Pickles: Make way for your new favorite appetizer! If you love fried pickles and buffalo wings you will not be disappointed. These pickles are dredged in a buffalo sauce batter and fried to perfection. Pair them with some garlic ranch and BAM!
- Fresh Spinach Artichoke Dip w/ Goat Cheese & Leeks: This easy fresh spinach artichoke dip with leeks is baked to golden perfection with four kinds of cheese including cream cheese, goat cheese, parmesan cheese, and mozzarella. Vegetarian and gluten-free.
If you make this spicy 7-layer dip I’d love your feedback. Please leave a comment and/or a rating below as I greatly value your opinion. Or snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @taoofspiceblog. Love, light and happy cooking ya’ll ♥
- 2 (16 oz) cans refried beans
- 1 (4 oz) can hot diced jalapenos
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 medium avocados, peeled and pitted
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 jalapenos, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 24 ounces sour cream
- 1 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 cups pico de gallo (liquid drained)
- 1 (6 oz) can black olives, sliced
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- Fresh or pickled jalapenos (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine refried beans, canned hot diced jalapenos, chili powder, onion powder, cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, add contents of avocados and mash until there are no chunks. Add lime juice, diced jalapenos, garlic, and 1 teaspoon salt. Mix until combined.
- Spread the beans in a 13" x 9" casserole dish.
- Layer on guacamole and sour cream, followed by layer of salsa verde.
- Top with pepper jack cheese, pico de gallo, black olives, and green onions. Top with additional jalapenos if desired.
Storage: Cover and refrigerate for up to five days.
Pico De Gallo
- 2 1/2 cups diced Roma tomatoes, about 5 medium Roma's
- 1/2 cup diced white or red onion
- 2 jalapenos, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes to allow flavors to meld or serve
immediately. Add salt and lime juice to taste. Store leftovers in an
airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 332Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 670mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 9gSugar: 5gProtein: 6g
The nutritional information provided is computer generated. It is only an estimate and intended for informational purposes only. Nutrition details may vary depending various factors such as origin, freshness of ingredients, etc.