Mix up your coleslaw game with this sweet and tangy honey mustard coleslaw. This simple, 10-minute summer side dish is great as is or can be served on a pulled pork sandwich or in a chicken wrap. Naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegetarian.
Jessica Halverstadt is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What you’ll love about this recipe
- It’s simple! While there is some prep involved to make ready the veggies, this coleslaw only takes about 10-minutes. If you purchase pre-shredded cabbage and carrots, less than that! It really doesn’t get much simpler than this! In fact, it’s so straightforward I don’t even have any tips for ya.
- It’s perfect for summer! This sweet, tangy slaw is ideal for summer barbecues, cookouts, and pot lucks. It can be prepped ahead with ease and will keep for up to five days. And there’s no need to heat up your house because there is no cooking required.
- It’s more than just a side dish! Not to dissuade you from serving it as a side dish because it definitely won’t let you down BUT there are other ways to serve it. You can pile it on a burger or sandwich or even incorporate it into a wrap like this honey mustard chicken wrap. One thing is guaranteed, regardless of how you serve it, it will no doubt be delicious!
Ingredients (+ notes & substitutions)
- Dijon mustard: One of three main components of the dressing, Dijon mustard is both creamier and spicier than yellow mustard, making it ideal for the base of this sauce.
- Honey: Although I have not tried it myself, you could substitute the honey for agave to make this recipe vegan, keeping in mind you would also need to use vegan mayonnaise.
- Mayonnaise: The third key component of the dressing. Feel free to use egg-free mayo if preparing a vegan version of this sauce or light mayo to cut some of the calories and fat.
- Apple cider vinegar: A little bit of vinegar brightens and balances the flavors. Distilled vinegar and lemon juice are suitable alternatives.
- Yellow mustard: I like to add just a touch of yellow mustard to the mix because although less complex in flavor than Dijon, it is a bit tangier.
- Celery seed: The perfect finishing touch to the dressing.
- Black pepper: For seasoning.
- Cayenne pepper: For a little bit of heat. It’s totally optional, however.
- Kosher salt: To season.
- Green cabbage: You can purchase a bag of pre-shredded cabbage or shred it yourself. If you opt to shred it yourself, one small head will yield more than enough.
- Carrots: While you could purchase pre-shredded carrots, I recommended prepping the carrots yourself. The simplest way to do so is to use a cheese grater to grate a peeled carrot. You’ll need 2-3 medium-sized carrots.
- Green onions: Because onions belong in every savory dish.
How to make honey mustard slaw
1. Begin by preparing the honey mustard dressing. In a medium bowl, combine the Dijon mustard, honey, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, yellow mustard, celery seed, cayenne pepper (optional), black pepper, and salt.
2. Add the cabbage, carrots, and green onion, and stir to combine.
3. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately or refrigerate for later.
Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to five days.
It is vegetarian. It is not, however, vegan. Although not all, most brands of mayonnaise are prepared with eggs. Since mayonnaise is one of the ingredients, honey mustard does contain eggs typically. And while you could prepare it with vegan mayonnaise, it still contains honey which is not acceptable on a vegan diet. That being said, you could substitute the honey for agave which is a vegan-friendly alternative.
Since none of the ingredients contain dairy, it absolutely is dairy-free!
How to serve honey mustard coleslaw:
- With grilled, fried, or blackened chicken.
- On a fried fish sandwich, grilled or fried chicken sandwich, or pulled pork sandwich.
- In a wrap like this honey mustard chicken wrap.
- With pork whether it’s a loin, chops, or shredded.
- On tacos!
- Serve it as a side at your next summer barbecue, cookout, or potluck.
If you make this honey mustard slaw I’d love your feedback. Please leave a comment and/or a rating below as I greatly value your opinion. Or snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @taoofspiceblog. Love, light, and happy cooking ya’ll ♥
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 cups shredded green cabbage (one small head will yeild enough)
- 1 cup shredded carrot, 2-3 medium carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- In a medium bowl, combine the Dijon mustard, honey, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, yellow mustard, celery seed, cayenne pepper (optional), black pepper, and salt.
- Add the cabbage, carrots, and green onion, and stir to combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately or refrigerate for later.
Storage: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to five days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2/3 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 481mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 4gSugar: 17gProtein: 3g
The nutritional information provided is computer generated. It is only an estimate and intended for informational purposes only. Nutrition details may vary depending on various factors such as origin, freshness of ingredients, etc