During hatch chile season this is the only sauce you need! It’s earthy, smoky, and buttery; a wonderful addition to burritos, enchiladas, and more that is easy to make and takes only 25-minutes. Naturally vegan.
Jessica Halverstadt is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Now that I’ve shared my guide to roasting hatch chile peppers (which you can find here), I want to share with you my recipe for hatch chile sauce.
It’s so incredibly simple to make and only takes 25 minutes most of which is hands-off.
That means you can amp your next burrito or burger with ease and still have plenty of time to do whatever else your heart desires; truly a dream come true. 😍
Since hatch chiles are available in varying levels of heat you can customize this sauce to suit your desired level of spiciness. Personally, I find the heat really takes the sauce to the next level, so I recommend using the hottest chiles you can handle.
The heat balances well with the earthy, smoky, and buttery flavors that make up this vegan sauce.
Ingredients (+ notes & substitutions)
- Olive oil: For sautéeing the aromatics.
- White onion
- Roasted hatch chiles: When in season, early August through late September, you can typically find them at the grocery store. They are also available for purchase from The Hatch Chile Store. Although only fresh part of the year, they will deliver them pre-roasted all year round. If possible I highly recommend you roast the hatch chiles yourself. Here is my easy oven roasting guide. Also worth mentioning, they come in different levels of heat; from mild to extra-spicy.
- All-purpose flour: To thicken the sauce.
- Vegetable broth: Could sub for chicken broth, pork broth, or even water.
- Oregano: Preferably Mexican Oregano!
How to make hatch green chile sauce ( + tips)
Begin by heating the olive oil in a small/medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring often, until the onions are slightly translucent and soft.
Add the roasted hatch chiles and sauté for another two minutes.
Stir in the flour and cook for two minutes stirring constantly.
Add the vegetable broth, oregano, and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened to desired consistency.
Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to one week.
How to use this sauce
- Add it to a dip.
- Smother a burrito with it. It’s especially amazing on a breakfast burrito!
- Top a burger, tacos, or enchiladas with it.
- Add it to mac and cheese.
If you make this hatch green chile sauce I’d love your feedback. Please leave a comment and/or a rating below as I greatly value your opinion. Or snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @taoofspiceblog. Love, light, and happy cooking ya’ll ♥
Hatch Green Chile Sauce
During hatch chile season this is the only sauce you need! It's earthy, smoky, and buttery; a wonderful addition to burritos, enchiladas, and more that is easy to make and takes only 25-minutes. Naturally vegan.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced peeled and deseed roasted hatch chiles
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth, chicken/pork broth, or water
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, preferably Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring often, until onions are slightly translucent and soft. Add the roasted hatch chiles and sauté another two minutes.
- Stir in the flour. Cook for two minutes stirring constantly.
- Add the vegetable broth, oregano, and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
Storage: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to one week.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 58Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 264mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g
The nutritional information provided is computer generated. It is only an estimate and intended for informational purposes only. Nutrition details may vary depending on various factors such as origin, freshness of ingredients, etc
amy liu dong
Sunday 7th of August 2022
Such a delicious, easy, and quick sauce to make. I will def save this for my reference. Thank you!
Friday 5th of August 2022
This didn't take long to make and made our Mexican night taste amazing! We drizzled it over nachos, and I dipped the Quesadillas in it 🤣 Just the perfect amount of heat for me!
Monday 21st of September 2020
Your pictures are amazingly beautiful. I have tried quite a few of your recipes and all of them were heavenly. I wish I could hire you as my personal Chef. Love your blog 👍👍👍👍👍🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Monday 21st of September 2020
Aw, thank you!!!! *blushing*