This simple cucumber everything bagel salad takes a favorite summer salad to the next level with the addition of a favorite seasoning mix including sesame and poppy seeds, garlic, onion, and salt. Naturally vegetarian and gluten-free.
Jessica Halverstadt is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What you’ll love about this recipe
- It’s perfect for a hot summer day! This salad celebrates cucumbers which are delightfully light and refreshing. This makes them a perfect meal time addition on a swelterinly hot day.
- It’s simple! This salad only requires a handful of ingredients and doesn’t take long to make ready, making it ideal for those times you have to quickly throw together a meal, simply don’t feel like cooking, or are invited at the last minute to a get together which requires you share a dish.
- It’s dietary friendly! This creamy cucumber salad is both vegetarian and gluten-free. It’s also low carb and contains no added sugar so it’s a win for all the healthy eaters out there.
Ingredients (+ notes & substitutions)
- English cucumbers: Two decent-sized cucumbers should do the trick. Feel free to peel and/or deseed the cucumbers if you wish, however, it is not necessary.
- Salt: The use of salt helps draw out any excess moisture from the cucumbers so the dressing doesn’t become watery.
- Red onion: Because you ALWAYS need onion. You could swap the red onions out for white if you prefer.
- Sour cream: The base of the dressing. Greek yogurt would work as well.
- Everything bagel seasoning: You can find this seasoning at pretty much any grocery store these days. Alternatively, you can purchase it online (see my product recommendation below) or make it yourself.
- White vinegar: For some acidity.
- Black pepper
How to make this cucumber everything bagel salad ( + tips)
1. Toss the cucumbers with the salt in a colander over the sink or a bowl. Allow to rest for 30 minutes to an hour. The salt will draw out the excess moisture from the cucumbers – this helps prevent the salad dressing from getting watery as it sits. If you’re in a rush and don’t intend to store the salad for long then you could certainly skip this step.
2. After 30 minutes, gently rinse the cucumbers, then press them down using your hands to squeeze out any moisture or pat them dry using paper towels.
3. In a bowl, prepare the dressing by combining the sour cream, everything bagel seasoning, white vinegar, and ground black pepper.
4. Combine the dressing, cucumbers, and red onion then add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately or refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
How to store
Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to five days. Due to the use of sour cream, it is not recommended you freeze this salad.
What to serve with this salad:
- Pickle-Brined Fried Chicken Wraps: These fried chicken wraps are stuffed full of crispy dill pickle-brined fried chicken, ranch dressing, lettuce, tomato, pickles, and cheese. They are easy to prep making them ideal for lunch or a weeknight dinner.
- Turkey Avocado Sandwich: This simple and refreshing turkey avocado sandwich is layered with chive cream cheese, mashed avocado, turkey, and plenty of fresh veggies including sprouts, cucumber, and red onion.
- Turkey Pesto Sandwich: This simple baked turkey pesto sandwich on ciabatta is loaded with roasted red pepper, spinach, Havarti cheese, and more and takes just 25-minutes to prepare.
More simple summer salads you may enjoy:
- Spinach Caprese Salad: This spinach Caprese salad takes a well-loved summer salad up a notch with the addition of fresh greens and a flavorful vinaigrette. Perfect for a weeknight dinner or as a take-along dish to your next gathering, this salad is quick and easy, vegetarian, and gluten-free.
- Pesto Orzo Salad with Summer Vegetables: Herbaceous and fresh; this delightful pesto orzo salad with summer vegetables including corn, cucumber, and tomato and fresh mozzarella is simple to prepare in under 20-minutes and a great take-along dish to your next cookout or potluck. Vegetarian and gluten-free adaptable.
- Cilantro Lime Cucumber Salad: Light and refreshing, this simple Mexican-style cilantro lime cucumber salad is perfect for summer. This healthy side dish is a great accompaniment to grilled salmon, chicken, and more. Naturally gluten-free, vegetarian, and keto-friendly.
If you make this cucumber everything bagel salad I’d love your feedback. Please leave a comment and/or a rating below as I greatly value your opinion. Or snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @taoofspiceblog. Love, light, and happy cooking ya’ll ♥
- 2 English cucumbers, thinly sliced, peeled and deseeded if desired
- 1 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons everything bagel seasoning
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/2 black pepper + more to taste
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Toss the cucumbers with the salt in a colander over the sink or a bowl. Allow to rest for 30 minutes to an hour.
- After 30 minutes, gently rinse the cucumbers, then press them down using your hands to squeeze out any moisture or pat them dry using paper towels.
- In a bowl, prepare the dressing by combining the sour cream, everything bagel seasoning, white vinegar, and ground black pepper.
- Combine the dressing, cucumbers, and red onion then add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately or refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
Storage: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to five days. Due to the use of sour cream, it is not recommended you freeze this salad.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 91Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 756mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 2g
The nutritional information provided is computer generated. It is only an estimate and intended for informational purposes only. Nutrition details may vary depending on various factors such as origin, freshness of ingredients, etc