This summer salad featuring cucumbers in a sour cream sauce and seasoned with everything bagel seasoning is incredibly quick and easy + naturally vegetarian and gluten-free.
Jessica Halverstadt is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’m sure everyone has had a cucumber salad, BUT who has had one with everything bagel seasoning?
I hadn’t until a couple of days ago. It was one of those nights I was throwing together dinner with what I had in the fridge. I just happened to have a couple of beautiful cucumbers that I picked up at the farmers market last weekend, one of which was beginning to look a little lifeless, so I knew I had to put it to use.
Naturally I opted to make a cucumber salad, which is one of my favorites dishes to make in the summer when cucumbers are in season and you have a few too many of them.
It’s a simple and quick salad that requires only a handful of ingredients, making it great for those nights you have to throw together dinner in a rush or simply don’t feel like cooking. You can truly never go wrong with a cucumber salad.
Typically I keep it real simple: cucumbers (of course), some sliced onion, sour cream, and salt and pepper to taste. The other night, however, I got the brilliant idea to throw in some everything bagel seasoning. I don’t want to toot my own horn, but it was kind of a genius idea.
The everything bagel seasoning adds something a little bit extra that took this simple salad to the next level. Sesame seeds, minced garlic, minced onion, poppy seeds…..SO GOOD!
As you can see, still really simple! And equally refreshing and tasty; only difference is it’s got a little bit more going on in the flavor department AND who would complain about that? Not I and I’m sure you won’t either!!
So what do you need to make this salad?
- English cucumbers: Two decent sized cucumbers should do the trick. Feel free to peel and/or deseed the cucumbers if you wish, however, it is not necessary.
- Salt: The use of salt helps draw out any excess moisture from the cucumbers so the dressing doesn’t become watery.
- Red onion: Because you ALWAYS need onion.
- Sour cream
- Everything bagel seasoning: You can find this seasoning at pretty much any grocery store these days. Alternatively, you can purchase it online (see my product recommendation below) or make it yourself.
- White vinegar
- Black pepper
How do you make this everything bagel cucumber salad? ( + tips)
Begin by tossing the cucumbers with 1/2 tablespoon of salt in a colander. Allow to rest for 30 minutes. The salt will draw out the excess moisture from the cucumbers, so leave the colander in the sink or over a bowl.
After 30 minutes, gently rinse the cucumbers if you wish to rid them of the salt. I am a big fan of salt, so I skip this step, but doing so does render a pretty salty salad. Next press the cucumbers down using your hands to squeeze out any moisture and/or pat them dry using paper towels.
Transfer the cucumbers to a medium bowl. Add the red onion, sour cream, everything bagel seasoning, white vinegar, and black pepper.
Toss to coat and add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes prior to serving to allow the flavors to meld.
How to store
Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to five days. Due to the use of sour cream it is not recommended you freeze this salad.
More simple salads you may enjoy:
- Creamy Pesto Pasta Salad: This crowd-pleasing creamy pesto pasta salad with artichokes, black olives, tomatoes, and red onion is super easy and can be thrown together in just 20 minutes. Naturally vegetarian.
- Lemon Orzo Salad w/ Asparagus, Arugula, & Feta: This herbaceous lemon orzo salad is a wonderful Spring side dish incorporating fresh seasonal produce like asparagus and arugula, garlic, and feta. Naturally vegetarian.
If you make this If you make this everything bagel cucumber salad I’d love your feedback. Please leave a comment and/or a rating below as I greatly value your opinion. Or snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @taoofspiceblog. Love, light and happy cooking ya’ll ♥
- 2 English cucumbers, thinly sliced, peeled and deseeded if desired
- 1/2 tablespoon salt + more to taste
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons everything bagel seasoning
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/2 black pepper + more to taste
- Toss the cucumbers with the salt in a colander over the sink or a bowl. Allow to rest for 30 minutes to an hour.
- After 30 minutes, gently rinse the cucumbers, then press them down using your hands to squeeze out any moisture or pat them dry using paper towels.
- Transfer the cucumbers to a medium bowl, then add the red onion, sour cream, everything bagel seasoning, white vinegar, and black pepper; toss to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
Storage: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to five days. Due to the use of sour cream, it is not recommended you freeze this salad.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 91Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 756mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 2g
The nutritional information provided is computer generated. It is only an estimate and intended for informational purposes only. Nutrition details may vary depending on various factors such as origin, freshness of ingredients, etc