This boldly flavored creamy Cajun dipping sauce is perfect for fried foods like hush puppies, fried okra, chicken or shrimp, and Cajun seasoned fries. It is simple to prepare with just a handful of ingredients in five minutes. Naturally vegetarian and gluten-free.
Jessica Halverstadt is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
In my house, we’re all about Creole food, from gumbo to jambalaya to po boys. Yum!!!
To go along with these main dishes we always fry up something…typically hush puppies because my recipe is always a big hit with family and friends. And although they are good on their own, EVERYTHING tastes better with sauce. Which is how this hush puppy dipping sauce came to be.
What you’ll love about this recipe
- It’s super simple! Whipping up this Cajun mayo sauce takes very little time and couldn’t be any easier. In fact, all you have to do is mix all of the ingredients together.
- The flavors! It starts with a tangy, cool, and creamy base. The majority of the flavor is introduced with the addition of Cajun seasoning. It’s a mixture of salt, heat, earth, and smoke. To finish things off is some lemon juice for balance, scallions for crunch and zing, and some additional cayenne pepper if you wish to spice things up a bit.
- It pairs perfectly with fried Cajun appetizers! While fried foods are tasty on their own, they’re even better when dipped in a good sauce!! This tangy, cool, flavor blast of a sauce couples nicely with rich fried starters like hush puppies, fried okra, and more.
Ingredients (+ notes & substitutions)
- Mayonnaise: One of the two components making up the base of the sauce.
- Sour cream: The second component for the base of the sauce, sour cream adds some tang.
- Green onions: The green onions add some texture and freshness for relief from the rich flavors.
- Lemon juice: To bring balance and brightness.
- Cajun seasoning: You can mix up your own or use your favorite store brand spice mix. For convenience, because this recipe only requires a teaspoon of Cajun spice, I typically do not make the spice mixture myself. If I have some on hand I’ll definitely use it, if not I’ll use store-bought. Slap YA Mama Cajun Seasoning and Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning are well known and widely available – both are solid choices. Be forewarned, however, that the salt in these seasonings can be a bit overwhelming.
- Cayenne pepper: If you want to spice things up a little more, I recommend adding some cayenne pepper to taste.
How to make Cajun dipping sauce (+ tips)
1. Add all of the ingredients to a small bowl and stir to combine.
2. Add cayenne pepper to taste. Serve immediately or refrigerate for later.
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to five days.
What to serve with the sauce:
- My personal go-to is hush puppies. They’re super simple to prepare and always a crowd-pleaser. If you’ve not made them before and/or are looking for a good recipe, I highly suggest these goat cheese hush puppies or these jalapeno cheddar hush puppies.
- Other fried appetizers like okra or Cajun seasoned fries.
- Fried chicken, shrimp, or fish.
- A burger or sandwich.
- These hush puppy corn dog bites.
If you make these creamy Cajun dipping sauce I’d love your feedback. Please leave a comment and/or a rating below as I greatly value your opinion. Or snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @taoofspiceblog. Love, light, and happy cooking ya’ll ♥
Creamy Cajun Dipping Sauce
This boldly flavored creamy Cajun dipping sauce is perfect for fried foods like hush puppies, fried okra, chicken or shrimp, and Cajun seasoned fries. It is simple to prepare with just a handful of ingredients in five minutes.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Cajun/creole seasoning
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Add all of the ingredients to a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Add cayenne pepper to taste. Serve immediately or refrigerate for later.
Storage: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to four days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 62Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 114mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
Monday 10th of January 2022
this cajun dip has been a staple its easy and great alternative from store bought