This fresh and zesty Mexican style cilantro lime sweet potato salad requires only a handful of ingredients, is super simple to make, and takes just 30-minutes. Naturally vegan and gluten-free.
Last updated March 2, 2021 @ 8:32 AM.
One night about a month or two ago when we were having some Mexican dish (I cannot for the life of my remember what), I ended up throwing together this cilantro lime sweet potato salad. It was one of those days I didn’t feel like leaving the house which meant I had to make use of what I had on hand.
In my opinion, it’s oftentimes like these that the best dishes are created. And this salad is no exception!
I quick glance at the contents of my cupboards and refrigerator and POOF; the idea for this dish came to me like a thief in the night.
I love incorporating sweet potatoes into my meals, because they are hearty, versatile, and pair wonderfully with many of my favorites spices, especially Mexican spices like cayenne, cumin, and coriander. Instead of enhancing the sweetness of the sweet potato the spices transform them into a savory delight.
Roasting the sweet potatoes is a must as it caramelizes the natural sugars, amplifying the flavor. Roasting also leaves you with that crispy on the outside and soft on the inside texture combination that is so good.
Add some citrus, cilantro, garlic, and onion and you have a delicious and healthy salad to accompany dishes like these beef birria tacos w/ consumé, these green goddess enchiladas, or these chicken fajita wraps. You could even stuff a burrito with it! Aside from being simple, quick, and healthy this salad has a couple other things going for it.
- It keeps well. In fact, it tastes even better a day or two later after the flavors have had a chance to meld.
- It can be served hot out of the oven, but tastes equally good cold, pulled straight out of the fridge.
- It’s good for any season. That’s right; summer, fall, winter, or spring!
Ingredients (+ notes & substitutions)
- Sweet potatoes: You’ll need approximately two pounds of sweet potatoes. They will need to be peeled and cubed to about 1/2 inch pieces.
- Olive oil
- Paprika: Preferably smoked.
- Ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- Cilantro: For flavor and freshness.
- Lime juice: To brighten the salad. Fresh or bottled work fine.
- Red onion: Could sub for white onion.
How do you made cilantro lime sweet potato salad?
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Arrange the sweet potatoes on a large baking sheet. Toss with olive oil, cumin, paprika, salt, and black pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
3. Remove from sweet potatoes from the oven and transfer to a medium bowl.
Add the cilantro, lime juice, red onions, and garlic and toss to coat. Serve warm or refrigerate for 30 minutes and serve cold.
How to store
Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to five days.
Looking for other Mexican (inspired) side dishes. Here are some of my go-to recipes:
- Green Rice (Arroz Verde): This healthy green rice, otherwise known as arroz verde, is packed full of spinach and cilantro. It’s a simple and delicious way to get an extra serving of greens. Great as a side or to stuff in a burrito or wrap. Vegan and gluten-free.
- Chipotle Potato Salad: Mexican twist on a classic; this chipotle potato salad is bursting with flavor. Creamy, smoky, and spicy; incorporating roasted poblano peppers, roasted red bell peppers, and corn. Naturally gluten-free and vegetarian.
- Creamy Poblano Rice w/ Corn: This Mexican inspired rice incorporates a creamy roasted poblano sauce, onion, garlic, and corn. Great side dish to serve alongside your next Mexican meal. Simple prep, naturally gluten-free, vegetarian option, and just the right amount of heat.
If you make this cilantro lime sweet potato salad I’d love your feedback. Please leave a comment and/or a rating below as I greatly value your opinion. Or snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @taoofspiceblog. Love, light, and happy cooking ya’ll ♥
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons diced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Arrange sweet potatoes on a large baking sheet. Toss with olive oil, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a medium bowl. Add cilantro, lime juice, red onions, garlic, and salt and toss to coat. Serve warm or refrigerate for 30 minutes and serve cold.
Storage: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to five days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 139Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 695mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 2g
The nutritional information provided is computer generated. It is only an estimate and intended for informational purposes only. Nutrition details may vary depending on various factors such as origin, freshness of ingredients, etc