This fresh and zesty Mexican-style cilantro lime sweet potato salad requires only a handful of ingredients, is super simple to make, and takes just 30-minutes. Naturally vegan and gluten-free.
Jessica Halverstadt is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
One night about a month or two ago when we were having some Mexican dish (I cannot for the life of my remember what), I ended up throwing together this cilantro lime sweet potato salad. It was one of those days I didn’t feel like leaving the house which meant I had to make use of what I had on hand.
In my opinion, it’s oftentimes like these that the best dishes are created. And this salad is no exception!
I quick glance at the contents of my cupboards and refrigerator and POOF; the idea for this dish came to me like a thief in the night.
I love incorporating sweet potatoes into my meals, because they are hearty, versatile, and pair wonderfully with many of my favorite spices, especially Mexican spices like cayenne, cumin, and coriander. Instead of enhancing the sweetness of the sweet potato, the spices transform them into a savory delight.
Roasting the sweet potatoes is a must as it caramelizes the natural sugars, amplifying the flavor. Roasting also leaves you with that crispy on the outside and soft on the inside texture combination that is so good.
Add some citrus, cilantro, garlic, and onion and you have a delicious and healthy salad to accompany dishes like these beef birria tacos w/ consumé, these green goddess enchiladas, or these chicken fajita wraps. You could even stuff a burrito with it! Aside from being simple, quick, and healthy, this salad has a couple of other things going for it.
- It keeps well. In fact, it tastes even better a day or two later after the flavors have had a chance to meld.
- It can be served hot out of the oven, but tastes equally good cold, pulled straight out of the fridge.
- It’s good for any season. That’s right; summer, fall, winter, or spring!
Ingredients (+ notes & substitutions)
- Sweet potatoes: You’ll need approximately two pounds of sweet potatoes. They will need to be peeled and cubed to about 1/2 inch pieces.
- Olive oil
- Paprika: Preferably smoked.
- Ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- Cilantro: For flavor and freshness.
- Lime juice: To brighten the salad. Fresh or bottled work fine.
- Red onion: Could sub for white onion.
How to make cilantro lime sweet potato salad (+ tips)
1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
2. Arrange the sweet potatoes on a large baking sheet. Toss with olive oil, cumin, paprika, salt, and black pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
3. Remove from the oven and transfer the roasted sweet potatoes to a medium bowl.
4. Add the cilantro, lime juice, red onions, and garlic and toss to coat.
Serve warm or refrigerate for 30 minutes and serve cold.
Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to five days.
More cilantro lime side dishes:
- Cilantro Lime Spinach Rice: This healthy spinach rice with Mexican flavors like lime and cilantro is a simple and delicious way to get in an extra serving of greens. It works great as a side or served up in a burrito or wrap. Naturally vegan and gluten-free.
- Cilantro Lime Cucumber Salad: Light and refreshing, this simple Mexican-style cilantro lime cucumber salad is perfect for summer. This healthy side dish is a great accompaniment to grilled salmon, chicken, and more. Naturally gluten-free, vegetarian, and keto-friendly.
- Cilantro Lime Rice: Simple to prepare in just 30-minutes, the bright herby flavor of cilantro lime white rice perfectly compliments a variety of Mexican dishes including enchiladas and tacos. Naturally gluten-free and vegan.
If you make this cilantro lime sweet potato salad I’d love your feedback. Please leave a comment and/or a rating below as I greatly value your opinion. Or snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @taoofspiceblog. Love, light, and happy cooking ya’ll ♥
Cilantro Lime Sweet Potato Salad
This fresh and zesty Mexican style cilantro-lime sweet potato salad requires only a handful of ingredients, is super simple to make, and takes just 30-minutes. Naturally vegan and gluten-free.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons diced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Arrange sweet potatoes on a large baking sheet. Toss with olive oil, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a medium bowl. Add cilantro, lime juice, red onions, garlic, and salt and toss to coat. Serve warm or refrigerate for 30 minutes and serve cold.
Storage: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to five days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 139Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 695mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 2g
The nutritional information provided is computer generated. It is only an estimate and intended for informational purposes only. Nutrition details may vary depending on various factors such as origin, freshness of ingredients, etc
Sunday 17th of July 2022
I love potato salad, but have never tried a sweet potato salad before. Sounds delicious! Excited to give it a try! Thanks for the share!
Wednesday 13th of July 2022
The perfect summer side dish when having a BBQ; the family loved this recipe, so much flavour they wanted me to cook more, lol