This EVERYONE-approved blueberry basil lemonade is the perfect refreshing summer beverage; modestly sweetened with honey and flavored with fresh blueberries and a hint of basil.
Jessica Halverstadt is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
It’s been SO HOT the past week. It is July in Kansas after all. The heat of the sun is so intense it really makes you wonder if you could indeed fry an egg on the pavement. Has anyone ever tried that?
With the heat comes an increase in water intake in an attempt to stay adequately hydrated. I’d be lying if I said there was anything that went down better than water on a hot summer day.
BUT on occasion water just doesn’t do it. It’s rather plain ya know.
In comes lemonade, the second most refreshing kid-friendly summer beverage. See how I threw in the “kid-friendly” bit there? That’s because an ice-cold beer would actually be the runner-up on my fave summer drinks list.
Anywho, this easy blueberry lemonade is sweetened with honey so it is not overwhelmingly sweet. This allows the natural flavor of the lemon, blueberries, and basil to shine.
This drink just screams summer. The combination is so incredibly refreshing and pleasing to the palate. It’s tart and slightly sweet with hints of herby goodness from the fresh basil.
Ingredients (+ notes & substitutions)
- Honey: You could sub the honey for agave if you prefer.
- Water: For the simple syrup and the lemonade.
- Blueberries: This recipe calls for fresh blueberries. They are in season June through August which is why this blueberry lemonade is such a great drink for summer.
- Fresh basil
- Lemon juice: Fresh squeezed is an absolute must for homemade lemonade. You shouldn’t need more than two lemons, however, this will depend on their size and how juicy they are.
How to make blueberry basil lemonade ( + tips)
Begin by adding one cup of water and the honey to a small saucepan, then bring it to a boil.
Add the blueberries and basil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for five minutes. The blueberries should have broken down by then.
Using a fine sieve, strain the blueberries and basil, pressing down on the blueberries with a fork or your hands to release all the juices. Discard the blueberries and the basil.
Place the blueberry basil simple syrup in the refrigerator or freezer until cool.
Once cool, fill a large pitcher with six cups of water and stir in the lemon juice and blueberry basil simple syrup.
Serve over ice and garnish with blueberries, lemon slices/wedges, and basil leaves if desired.
How to store
Refrigerate for up to one week.
If you make this blueberry basil lemonade I’d love your feedback. Please leave a comment and/or a rating below as I greatly value your opinion. Or snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @taoofspiceblog. Love, light, and happy cooking ya’ll ♥
- 1 cup honey
- 7 cups water, divided
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 packed tablespoons fresh basil
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Place honey and one cup of water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add the blueberries and basil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for five minutes.
- Using a fine sieve, strain the blueberries and basil, pressing down on the blueberries with a fork or your hands to release all the juices. Discard the blueberries and basil. Place the blueberry basil simple syrup in the refrigerator or freezer until cool.
- Once cool, fill a large pitcher with six cups of water and stir in the lemon juice and blueberry basil simple syrup.
- Serve over ice and garnish with blueberries, lemon slices/wedges, and basil leaves if desired.
Storage: Refrigerate lemonade for up to one week.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 8 ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 143Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 10mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 1gSugar: 37gProtein: 0g
The nutritional information provided is computer generated. It is only an estimate and intended for informational purposes only. Nutrition details may vary depending on various factors such as origin, freshness of ingredients, etc