This crowd-pleasing creamy pesto pasta salad with artichokes, black olives, tomatoes, and red onion is super easy and can be thrown together in just 20 minutes. Naturally vegetarian.
One of my absolute favorite things to make in the summer are pasta salads. They are easy to prepare, don’t take much time, and so so versatile.
Additionally, they are nearly impossible to mess up meaning pretty much anyone can successfully prepare one. The only thing better than that is how good they taste.
And this pasta salad is no exception. It’s base is a creamy mixture of basil pesto and mayonnaise. Stir ’em together, add a little lemon juice, and BAM, you’ve got a flavor laden sauce that’s poppin’ with herby goodness.
As always this salad is loaded with veggies including artichokes and red onions, which are both in season right now. It’s vegetarian and can easily be adapted to gluten-free with the use of GF pasta.
You can seriously throw this salad together with ease in just 20 minutes, so keep it in mind next time you’re invited to a barbecue or pot-luck at the last minute. It will no doubt be a hit!
So what do you need to make this pasta salad? ( + substitutions)
- Orecchiette pasta: Or whatever pasta you prefer. For GF make sure you pick out a pasta that does not contain gluten.
- Mayonnaise: Full-fat recommended.
- Basil pesto: Homemade or the brand of your choice.
- Lemon juice
- Canned artichoke hearts: Not the marinated ones.
- Black olives
- Grape or cherry tomatoes
- Red onion
- Salt and pepper: To taste.
How do you make creamy pesto pasta salad?
Cook orecchiette pasta according to package instructions. Immediately drain and run cold water over the noodles until they are cool.
In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, basil pesto, and the lemon juice.
Add the orecchiette pasta, artichokes, black olives, tomatoes, and red onion; stir to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately or refrigerate for later.
How to store
Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to five days.
More summer salads:
- Lemon Orzo Salad w/ Asparagus, Arugula, & Feta: This herbaceous lemon orzo salad is a wonderful Spring side dish incorporating fresh seasonal produce like asparagus and arugula, garlic, and feta. Naturally vegetarian.
- Grilled Steak Salad w/ Habanero Peach Vinaigrette: This easy, gluten-free grilled steak salad with habanero peach vinaigrette is a little bit spicy, a little bit sweet, and a whole lotta yum!
If you make this creamy pesto pasta salad I’d love your feedback. Please leave a comment and/or a rating below as I greatly value your opinion. Or snap a pic and tag me on Instragram @taoofspiceblog. Love, light and happy cooking ya’ll ♥
- 16 ounces orecchiette pasta
- 3/8 cup mayonnaise
- 3/8 cup basil pesto
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 14 ounce can artichoke hearts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup sliced black olives
- 1 cup halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook orecchiette pasta according to package instructions. Immediately transfer to a strainer and run cold water over the noodles until cool. Drain.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, basil pesto, and lemon juice.
- Add the orecchiette pasta, artichokes, black olives, tomatoes, and red onion. Stir to coat. Serve immediately or refrigerate for later.
Storage: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to five days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: ~ 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 177Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 277mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g
The nutritional information provided is computer generated. It is only an estimate and intended for informational purposes only. Nutrition details may vary depending on various factors such as origin, freshness of ingredients, etc