This ultra-light and creamy hummus topped with herbaceous chimichurri takes only 30-minutes to make and is worth every second. It’s easy, loaded with flavor, vegan, and gluten-free.
Jessica Halverstadt is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I am thrilled to say I can finally make delightfully creamy hummus. (Thanks for the new food processor mom!!!)
It’s unbelievable what a good food processor can do for your hummus-making game. Last time I made it my hummus was lumpier than my old mattress. Ouch!
Thanks to my new Breville (not an affiliate), my newest hummus creation turned out smoother than a baby’s you know what. Well, that in part, and the preparation method.
This hummus is sooooo light and fluffy. I mean the texture is downright heavenly.
As is the flavor! It’s a rather basic hummus (rich and garlicky), but it’s topped with a tangy and herbaceous chimichurri.
If you’re not familiar with chimichurri, it’s a sauce originating in South America that’s core ingredients include fresh herbs, garlic, olive oil, and vinegar. Typically it’s served on grilled meat.
And let me tell you, it is SO GOOD that way! BUT it is just as good as a part of this hummus (if I do say so myself).
It is so darn fresh with ingredients like raw garlic and shallots that give it a little bite, parsley that brings a mild bitterness to the table, and cilantro with its citrusy notes.
Whipping it up takes only thirty minutes and can be done with ease. It works great as a dip for veggies, chips, or crackers, or even slathered on bread or a tortilla wrap like this autumn harvest vegetable wrap.
Ingredients (+ notes & substitutions)
- Chickpeas: Out of convenience, I typically use canned chickpeas, otherwise known as garbanzo beans. Most regular-sized cans are 15.5 ounces which is the equivalent of one and a half cups once drained. If you’re up for the task, feel free to prepare your own chickpeas.
- Water: To boil the chickpeas.
- Baking soda: Adding baking soda to the boiling water helps soften the chickpeas rendering a creamier hummus.
- Garlic: For the hummus and the chimichurri.
- Tahini: This sesame seed paste is a key ingredient for hummus.
- Lemon juice: Preferably fresh.
- Ice cold water: To thin out the hummus.
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh cilantro
- Oregano: Fresh or dry.
- Red wine vinegar: Or sherry.
- Olive oil: Could sub for sunflower oil.
- Red pepper flakes: Optional.
How to make chimichurri hummus ( + tips)
Begin by adding the chickpeas and the baking soda to a small saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20-minutes. Boiling the chickpeas with baking soda helps soften them so that the hummus will be nice and creamy.
Meanwhile, add the parsley, cilantro, oregano, olive oil, red wine vinegar, red pepper flakes, and 1/8 teaspoon salt to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment and pulse until smooth.
Transfer to a bowl and rinse out the food processor bowl and attachment.
Once the chickpeas are finished, transfer them to a strainer, run under cold water until cool, and drain the excess liquid.
Next, transfer them to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment along with the garlic. Process until somewhat smooth but chunky.
Add the tahini, lemon juice, and salt, and pulse until smooth. Continue processing while adding ice water one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is achieved.
Spread the hummus in a serving bowl and top with the chimichurri.
Serve immediately or refrigerate for later.
Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to five days or freeze for up to four months.
More dip recipes you may enjoy
- Goat Cheese Spinach Artichoke Dip with Leeks: This easy one-skillet goat cheese spinach artichoke dip with leeks is made with fresh ingredients, four kinds of cheese including cream cheese, goat cheese, parmesan cheese, and mozzarella, and takes only 20-minutes. Naturally vegetarian and gluten-free.
- Jalapeno Artichoke Dip: Extremely simple and exceptionally tasty, this creamy jalapeno artichoke dip takes less than ten minutes to prepare and can be served with chips, crackers, or veggies. Naturally gluten-free.
If you make this chimichurri hummus I’d love your feedback. Please leave a comment and/or a rating below as I greatly value your opinion. Or snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @taoofspiceblog. Love, light, and happy cooking ya’ll ♥
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas, drained, 15.5 ounce can
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, preferably fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-4 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1/2 cup parsley, packed
- 1/8 cup cilantro, packed
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano OR one teaspoon dried
- 1/2 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or Sherry
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Add chickpeas and baking soda to a small saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20-minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the ingredients for the chimichurri to the bowl of a food processor fit with the blade attachment and pulse until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and rinse the food processor bowl/attachment.
- Transfer chickpeas to a strainer, run under cold water until cool, and drain excess liquid.
- Transfer the chickpeas to bowl of food processor fit with blade attachment and add the garlic. Process until somewhat smooth but still chunky.
- Add the tahini, lemon juice, and salt, and pulse until smooth.
- Continue processing while adding ice water one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is achieved.
- Spread in a serving bowl and top with chimichurri. Serve immediately or refrigerate for later.
Storage: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to five days or freeze for up to four months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 136Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 186mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g
The nutritional information provided is computer generated. It is only an estimate and intended for informational purposes only. Nutrition details may vary depending on various factors such as origin, freshness of ingredients, etc