This super simple ground beef enchilada soup brings the flavor you know and love, requires just a handful of ingredients, and takes only 25-minutes. Naturally gluten-free.
Jessica Halverstadt is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I don’t know about you, but now that the holidays have passed and all the baking, cooking, and cleaning that comes along with them, a little break sounds quite nice. And well-deserved, if I do say so myself.
Props to all of you who made magic happen in the kitchen last month. Now take a load off.
January is the perfect time to enjoy easy soups like this one inspired by beef enchiladas.
With just a handful of ingredients, this soup brings you all the delicious flavors that you know and love. Making up this soup is a thick and flavorful red enchilada sauce-based broth combined with tomatoes, semi-crunchy onions, and ground beef. It’s topped off with melted cheese and your choice of toppings like green onions, black olives, and sour cream. If you’re feeling extra ambitious, fry up some tortilla strips to top it off.
It’s super simple to throw together in just one pot in less than 30 minutes making it a great option for a weeknight meal. If you’re craving enchiladas but not the hassle, give this low-fuss soup a try. You can serve it solo or alongside some cheesy quesadillas.
Ingredients (+ notes & substitutions)
- Ground beef: Although this recipe is based on beef enchiladas, you could certainly sub for ground turkey if you like.
- White onion: Yellow onion would also work
- Kosher salt
- Chicken broth: You could certainly use beef broth instead.
- Red enchilada sauce: I like the brand, Las Palmas. It’s super flavorful and comes in mild, medium, or hot so you can control the level of heat.
- Canned diced tomatoes: Regular or petite diced.
- Cheddar cheese: I typically use cheddar or Colby Jack, but any meltable shredded cheese will do.
- Optional toppings: Diced green onion and sliced black olives are my go-to toppings for this soup, but feel free to add sour cream, chopped cilantro, avocado, and/or any other toppings your heart desires.
How to make beef enchilada soup (+ tips)
Begin by adding the ground beef to a large pot breaking it apart as you do. Add the onion, garlic, and salt, then pour in the chicken broth and bring it to a boil. *If you prefer, you could certainly brown the ground beef first and sauté the onions. Personally, I think the meat turns out more tender when boiled and I like my onions with a tad bit of crunch.
Once boiling, stir in the enchilada sauce and diced tomatoes, including the juice.
Return to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
To serve: Ladle the soup into a bowl, top generously with shredded cheese, and your choice of toppings. Serve warm.
Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to four days or freeze for up to three months.
More flavorful soup recipes you may like:
- Chipotle Chicken Tortilla Soup: Simple to prepare on the stovetop or in an Instant Pot, this richly flavored chipotle chicken tortilla soup with corn is sure to hit the spot. Naturally gluten-free and dairy-free.
- Spicy Pork Chili: This spicy pork chili is loaded with a plethora of spices, onion, jalapeno, and pork so tender it falls apart. This family favorite is simple to prepare on the stovetop or in an Instant Pot and gluten-free.
If you make this beef enchilada soup I’d love your feedback. Please leave a comment and/or a rating below as I greatly value your opinion. Or snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @taoofspiceblog. Love, light, and happy cooking ya’ll ♥
Beef Enchilada Soup
This super simple beef enchilada soup brings the flavor you know and love, requires just a handful of ingredients, and takes only 25-minutes. Naturally gluten-free.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 28-ounce can red enchilada sauce
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- Shredded cheddar or Colby Jack cheese for serving
- Optional toppings: Diced green onions, sliced black olives, sour cream, chopped cilantro, and avocado.
- Add the ground beef to a large pot breaking it apart as you do. Add the onion, garlic, and salt, then pour in the chicken broth and bring it to a boil.
- Stir in the enchilada sauce and diced tomatoes, including the juice. Return to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- To serve: Ladle into a bowl, top with shredded cheese, and green onion and/or olives. Serve warm.
Storage: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to four days or freeze for up to three months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: ~2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 479Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 117mgSodium: 2773mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 6gSugar: 17gProtein: 39g
The nutritional information provided is computer generated. It is only an estimate and intended for informational purposes only. Nutrition details may vary depending on various factors such as origin, freshness of ingredients, etc
Thursday 10th of February 2022
You don’t brown the meat first?
Thursday 10th of February 2022
You can but no need!
Friday 28th of January 2022
Could you make it in the crockpot ??
Saturday 29th of January 2022
While I haven't tried it, I don't see why not! Dump everything in the crockpot and on low for 3-4 hours or on high for 6-8.
Sunday 12th of December 2021
So great now that it's soup weather. Love that this is so much heartier, too.
Tuesday 7th of December 2021
I love a good beef enchilada soup, especially during cooler weather! So quick and simple!
Friday 3rd of December 2021
This soup was so warm and flavorful! I loved the hearty and savory flavors.