Amp up your next burger or sandwich with this bacon onion jam or simply spread it on bread or crackers and enjoy its sweet and savory goodness. Naturally gluten-free.
Jessica Halverstadt is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Bacon onion jam…..sounds kind of weird, right?!? I promise you it’s not.
I think I’ve mentioned before that I’m not a big fan of sweet and savory (for the most part). BUT who can resist the combination of bacon and brown sugar?? I for one cannot.
Add some onions and vinegar to the equation and BAM. Irresistible; the perfect word to describe this jam.
Yes, it’s sweet, but it’s also salty, smoky, and tangy. The flavors work together in absolute harmony.
As it melts in your mouth you’ll likely be stunned by the variety and complexity of flavors. Don’t let that superb goodness fool you though, this jam is super simple to make.
Ingredients (+ notes & substitutions)
- Bacon: I recommend hickory smoked. Avoid bacon that is cured with maple or sugar to avoid excessive sweetness.
- White onion: You may slice or dice the onion.
- Brown sugar: Light or dark will work.
- Apple cider vinegar: To balance the rich flavors.
- Mustard powder: For some tang
- Cayenne pepper: For a little bit of heat.
How to make bacon onion jam (+ tips)
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with tin foil or topping it with a wire cooling rack. I recommend a wire cooling rack if you have one because it results in crispier bacon. Lay the bacon in a single layer and bake for 20-minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Remove from oven.
Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined surface. Reserve two teaspoons of bacon drippings.
Heat a medium skillet/frying pan to medium heat. Add reserved bacon grease and onion. Cook for one minute, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook for another 20 minutes. Stir frequently to avoid burning. When done, onions will be a slight golden brown and translucent.
Meanwhile, cut bacon strips lengthwise and then chop them into small pieces.
Add the brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, mustard powder, cayenne pepper, garlic, and bacon to the onions. Mix until combined and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until liquid has reduced and mixture has thickened to a jam-like consistency. Stir as needed. Serve immediately or save for later.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. Bring to room temp prior to use.
How to serve this bacon onion jam:
- Add it to a burger or sandwich like this jalapeno popper grilled cheese.
- Stuff jalapeno poppers with it.
- Slather it on crackers.
- Top cream cheese with it and serve it as a dip.
If you make this bacon onion jam I’d love your feedback. Please leave a comment and/or a rating below as I greatly value your opinion. Or snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @taoofspiceblog. Love, light, and happy cooking ya’ll ♥
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1 small white onion, sliced or diced (approximately one cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cover baking sheet with tin foil or place a wire rack atop it. Lay out bacon strips in a single layer and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from oven. Transfer bacon to paper towel lined surface. Reserve two teaspoons of bacon drippings.
- Heat medium skillet/frying pan to medium heat.
- Add reserved bacon grease and onion. Cook for one minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook onions for 20 minutes or until they are a slight golden brown and translucent, stirring frequently to avoid burning.
- Meanwhile, cut bacon strips lengthwise and then chop into small pieces.
- Add the brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, mustard powder, cayenne pepper, garlic, and bacon to the onions. Mix until combined and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until liquid has reduced and mixture has thickened to a jam-like consistency, stirring as needed. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to one-week in an airtight container. Bring to room temp prior to use.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 205Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 639mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 13g
The nutritional information provided is computer generated. It is only an estimate and intended for informational purposes only. Nutrition details may vary depending on various factors such as origin, freshness of ingredients, etc