Did you know you can enjoy BBQ chicken leg quarters all year long? There’s no need for a grill when you can cook air fryer chicken leg quarters. The flavorful, crispy skin and the super juicy, tender meat is guaranteed to convince you that there is no better way to prepare chicken quarters. Naturally gluten and dairy-free.
Jessica Halverstadt is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What you’ll love about this recipe
- It’s so simple! Did you know that you can enjoy bbq chicken leg quarters without the hassle of firing up a grill? It’s true! You can now enjoy bbq chicken all year long. These air fryer chicken leg quarters are so simple to prepare, take about half an hour, and require only a few ingredients plus a handful of spices that you very likely already have on hand. It doesn’t get much easier!
- The textures! Prepare to be impressed because this chicken is simply AMAZING! The skin is perfectly crispy and covered in caramelized barbecue sauce. The meat, however, is delightfully juicy and oh, so tender. And the combination of the two….downright magical. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Mmmmmm.
- It’s economical! Chicken leg quarters are one of the most affordable cuts of chicken. They are typically priced somewhere between one dollar and a dollar and fifty cents per pound meaning it costs no more than $3.00 to purchase the chicken for this recipe. Which inflation and high gas prices, this is definitely a plus!!!
Ingredients (+ notes & substitutions)
- Chicken leg quarters: This recipe works best with chicken leg quarters that are about a pound or slightly under a pound. Larger chicken quarters may require an extra five minutes or so in the air fryer. If you have time and are thinking ahead, I do recommend pulling the chicken out of the refrigerator and resting it on the counter about 30 minutes ahead of time – this recipe will not work with frozen chicken.
- Olive oil
- Dried parsley
- Garlic powder
- Ground black pepper
- Ground mustard: If you don’t have any, it is fine to omit it.
- Kosher salt
- Onion powder
- Cayenne pepper: The recipe only calls for 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne so it is not really spice. Nevertheless, if you’re concerned it may be too spicy for you feel free to skip it.
- Paprika: Smoked paprika works really well here.
- Barbecue sauce: Here’s the fun part! You get to choose whichever bbq sauce you like. Make sure to check the label if you wish to keep this recipe gluten-free and/or keto.
How to make air fryer bbq chicken leg quarters (+ tips)
1. Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees.
2. Pat the chicken leg quarters dry, coat them with olive oil, and set them aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine the spices. Sprinkle the mixture over the chicken quarters and rub it in.
4. Place the chicken quarters in your air fryer basket skin side down and air fry at 400 degrees for 15-minutes.
Then flip them over and air fry for an additional 10-minutes.
5. Brush the chicken with barbecue sauce and air fryer at 380 for 5-minutes until browned and crispy. The internal temp should register at least 165 degrees. **I typically only brush the top/skin side with barbecue sauce but you can do both sides if you wish.
6. Allow to rest for ten minutes to ensure the chicken remains nice and juicy then serve warm with your choice of sides.
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to four days.
Chicken leg quarters are a cut of chicken that includes both a drumstick and a thigh as well as part of the back. As you may have surmised they do contain bones and are sold with the skin attached.
Yes, as long as you choose barbecue sauce that is keto-friendly!
Yes, assuming you opt for a gluten-free barbecue sauce.
What to serve with bbq chicken leg quarters:
- A salad
- Coleslaw, potato salad, or macaroni salad.
- Pasta salad like this lemon orzo salad with arugula, asparagus, and feta.
- Macaroni and cheese
- Mashed or roasted potatoes.
- French fries or chips and dip.
- Corn or green beans.
- Baked beans
More BBQ recipes you may enjoy:
- BBQ Brisket Mac and Cheese: Calling all barbecue lovers!!! This rich and creamy bbq brisket mac and cheese is loaded with smoky cheddar, jalapeno, leftover brisket, your favorite barbecue sauce, and bacon then topped with crispy onions and baked to perfection.
- BBQ Braised Cabbage with Bacon: Talk about flavor; this simple BBQ braised cabbage with bacon is bursting with it! Whether you serve it as a side next time you barbecue or pile it on a pulled pork sandwich or burger for flare, you won’t regret it. Naturally gluten-free.
- BBQ Chicken Bacon Ranch Salad: You can’t go wrong with this loaded BBQ chicken bacon ranch salad with tomatoes, sliced avocado, and crispy fried onions and jalapenos.
If you make these air fryer bbq chicken leg quarters I’d love your feedback. Please leave a comment and/or a rating below as I greatly value your opinion. Or snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @taoofspiceblog. Love, light, and happy cooking ya’ll ♥
- 2 chicken leg quarters
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Pat the chicken leg quarters dry, coat them with olive oil, and set them aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the spices, then sprinkle it over the chicken quarters and rub it in.
- Place the chicken quarters in your air fryer basket skin side down and air fry at 400 degrees for 15-minutes. Then flip them over and air fry for an additional 10-minutes.
- Brush the chicken with barbecue sauce and air fryer at 380 for 5-minutes until browned and crispy. The internal temp should register at least 165 degrees.
- Allow to rest for ten minutes then serve warm.
Storage: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to four days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 606Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 328mgSodium: 932mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 63g
The nutritional information provided is computer generated. It is only an estimate and intended for informational purposes only. Nutrition details may vary depending on various factors such as origin, freshness of ingredients, etc