Fresh twist on a classic. This Spicy Kimchi Reuben is layered with corned beef, a spicy mayo kimchi mixture, and pepper jack cheese. Ready in just 15 minutes.
Reuben’s have long been and will probably always be my favorite sandwich. I’ve got to admit I’m pretty picky when it comes to them, because I was incredibly spoiled growing up with the best homemade Reuben’s.
Lucky me, my love for Reuben’s has been inherited by my children. They are a staple in my house because they are not only delicious but also easy and quick to make. Seriously though, these sandwiches can be prepped, cooked, and plated in just 15 minutes. Can’t beat that! Especially on hectic weeknights when there are baths to take and homework to do.
As you probably gathered from the title of this recipe these are not your typical Reuben sandwiches. Although I adore them, I’ve grown a bit burnt out on the traditional Reuben. That combined with the fact that I’ve been on a kimchi kick as of late inspired these Spicy Kimchi Reuben’s.
So if you’re up for trying something new and you’re not afraid of a little spice, give them a go. If you’re not a big fan of spicy food you could easily reduce or leave out the cayenne. To be honest I was afraid my kids wouldn’t like them, but to my surprise they did! And I’m sure you will too! They’ve still got all the best aspects of a traditional Reuben going on; rye bread, corned beef, fermented cabbage, and melty, gooey cheese.
So what do you need to make this sandwich? (+ substitutions)
- Rye bread: I actually used a sourdough rye bread from my favorite local bakery WheatFields. Soooo good!!! As always, I recommend a high-quality artisan bread. Pumpernickel would be a solid choice as well.
- Corned beef: You can’t beat corned beef sliced right off a fresh cooked brisket, however, I realize that for most households corned beef is not a staple. Not only that, but having to prepare the corned beef throws the quickness and convenience of this recipe right out the window. That being said corned beef is super simple to cook and hands-off. I stuck mine in a crockpot on low heat, covered it with water, and left it to do its thing overnight. If you’re not up to this, deli meat is fine.
- Kimchi: Use your favorite! I’ve been dying to make my own kimchi, but haven’t gotten around to it yet, so I used what I had on hand.
- Pepperjack cheese
- Cayenne pepper
How do you make a spicy kimchi Reuben? (+ tips)
First you will need to remove the excess liquid from the kimchi. Put it in a strainer and press down on it with a spoon/fork or your hands to remove as much liquid as possible.
Combine the kimchi with the mayo and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
Heat a skillet to med-low heat; closer to medium. On my stove this would be a four.
Assemble the sandwich by layering the pepper jack cheese, corned beef and kimchi mixture on one slice of bread; top it off with the remaining slice of bread.
Butter one side of the sandwich and place butter side down in the skillet. Cook for five minutes or until golden brown. Butter the face-up side of the sandwich then gently flip it over. Allow it to cook for an additional five minutes or the bread is golden brown and crispy and cheese is melted. Serve warm.
If you make this spicy kimchi Reuben I’d love your feedback. Please leave a comment and/or a rating below as I greatly value your opinion. Or snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @taoofspiceblog. Love, light and happy cooking ya’ll ♥
- 1/4 cup kimchi, drained
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 slices rye bread
- 2 slices pepper jack cheese, approximately 2 ounces
- 3 ounces sliced corned beef
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- Heat a skillet to medium-low heat, slightly closer to medium.
- In a small bowl, combine kimchi, mayonnaise, and cayenne pepper.
- To assemble sandwich layer one slice of bread with cheese, corned beef, and kimchi mixture. Top with remaining slice of bread.
- Butter one side of sandwich and place butter side down in skillet. Cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Butter other side of the sandwich and gently flip; cook for another 5 minutes or until bread is crispy and golden brown and cheese is melted. Serve warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 742Total Fat: 57gSaturated Fat: 25gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 170mgSodium: 1791mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 34g
The nutritional information provided is computer generated. It is only an estimate and intended for informational purposes only. Nutrition details may vary depending on various factors such as origin, freshness of ingredients, etc