These easy soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies are prepared with pantry staples are everything that chocolate chip cookies should be; soft, chewy, and chocolatey!!!
Jessica Halverstadt is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Today for National Chocolate Chip Day I’m sharing with you my recipe for chocolate chip cookies. This recipe is simple, straightforward, and made with pantry staples.
Like my fudgy double chocolate brownies recipe, I opted to keep this recipe pretty traditional. Because why mess with a good thing?!? And we all know chocolate chip cookies are a good thing. Ok, maybe not for the waistline. 🤷BUT worry not, because one bite of these cookies and you’ll forget all about the calories….for at least a few seconds anyway.
There are two camps when it comes to chocolate chip cookies. There’s team soft and chewy and there’s team crispy. I for one am on team soft and chewy. If you are too, then you will love these cookies.
Due to the perfect ratio of ingredients and short bake time, these cookies are as soft and chewy as they come. And since the bake time is only nine minutes and the prep no more than 10, you can be sitting back munching on these cookies in less than 30 minutes.
Ingredients (+ notes & substitutions)
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda: For leavening.
- Kosher salt: Salt brings out the flavor of the other ingredients
- Butter: Although unsalted butter is best for baking, salted would work. It will need to be melted.
- Brown sugar: The use of brown sugar results in a moister, softer cookie due to the higher content of molasses. Light or dark will work.
- Granulated sugar: For structure.
- Eggs: One full egg and one egg yolk; room temperature. ** To quickly bring the eggs to room temp place them in a bowl of warm, but not hot, water for about 10 minutes.
- Milk chocolate chips
1. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Line a large baking sheet or two with parchment paper or a silicone mat OR lightly grease.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a second medium bowl, combine the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Mix until the ingredients are fully combined and there are no clumps. Whisk in the egg and egg yolk.
Add the dry ingredients and stir until fully incorporated.
Fold in the chocolate chips.
4. Scoop the dough one heaping tablespoon at a time, roll it into a ball, and arrange your baking sheet(s) about one inch apart.
5. Bake for nine minutes. At this point, the cookies should appear pale, puffy, and under-baked. Allow the cookies to rest for ten on the baking sheet. During this time the cookies will continue cooking. After 10 minutes transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling or go ahead and chow down on them.
These cookies will keep in an airtight container for up to one week.
More chocolatey dessert recipes you might dig:
- Fudgy Double Chocolate Brownies: Super fudgy double chocolate brownies made from scratch. These babies melt in your mouth and are exploding with chocolatey goodness. Ditch the store-bought brownie mix. I guarantee you won’t regret it! So easy and (at least) 100 times better.
- Brookies: Brownies + chocolate chip cookies = brookies!!! A simple dessert made with pantry staples; this irresistible combination is definitely worthy of its own name.
- Hot Cocoa Brownie Skillet: Warm right up with this decadent hot cocoa brownie skillet consisting of chocolate lava sandwiched between two layers of fudgy brownies topped with toasted marshmallows.
If you make these soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies I’d love your feedback. Please leave a comment and/or a rating below as I greatly value your opinion. Or snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @taoofspiceblog. Love, light, and happy cooking ya’ll ♥
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (two sticks), melted and cooled
- 1 cup brown sugar, light or dark
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease two large baking sheets or line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together in a medium bowl until there are no clumps. Whisk in the eggs, then pour the dry ingredients in, and mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop dough one heaping tablespoon at a time, roll it into a ball, and arrange on the baking sheets about one inch apart.
- Bake for 9 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. *These cookies will look pale, puffy, and underbaked, but will continue to cook on the baking sheet once removed from the oven. I urge you not to overcook them.
Storage: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 183Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 118mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 3g
The nutritional information provided is computer generated. It is only an estimate and intended for informational purposes only. Nutrition details may vary depending on various factors such as origin, freshness of ingredients, etc.